Midweek Bible Studies/Small Group Studies – are held as announced with emphasis on Advent and Lent. We also offer Disciple and Christian Believer Classes throughout the year.
Nursery – Epworth has a staffed nursery for infants and toddlers on an as needed basis. Portable cribs and changing table are available for your use at any time during the worship service. All staff undergo background checks.
Sunday School – Each Sunday at 9:30 a.m. a number of Sunday School Classes meet. The classes are listed below:
- Learning for Life
This class was created in 1951 in response to the need for diversity in the Sunday school program. Class study materials have ranged from church sponsored materials, to International Lesson Series to currently the Cokesbury series. It is a discussion style class, taught by members. They have class projects in missions, charitable matters, and individual service to the church. They welcome new members!
- Feasting on the Word
This class is a discussion style class using the Feasting on the Word curriculum to explore the Revised Common Lectionary passage each week in ways suitable for all participants. The class utilizes common Bible passages for all learners, making it easy for families to live out their faith together. Come join us in the Parlor for coffee, fellowship and discussion. All are welcome!
- Wesleymen Bible Class
The Wesleymen of Epworth United Methodist recently celebrated their 100th Anniversary, making it the longest running Sunday School class in Epworth’s history. They welcome young and old alike! The Wesleymen also sponsor an annual summer picnic and fall social event.
- Children’s and Youth Classes
Include Nursery, One Room School House and Adolescents (Grade 6 up). children and youth of all ages focus on learning through age appropriate bible studies, crafts and music. Come check us out!
- NEW – Coffee on the Porch – Held weekly on Sundays at 9:30 a.m., on the Freemason St. porch. Join us for a cup of coffee and fellowship before the Sunday service.
- Congregational Dinners—Held on the third Sunday of the month except for July, August and December. Different organizations connected with Epworth sponsor these meals January – June and September
- Holy Chow – Held on the fifth Sunday of each month at 12 p.m., following our fifth Sunday Hymn Sing during the 11 a.m. service. An Epworth favorite – This family focused event is a “covered dish”/”carry in”/”potluck” meal with themes and special recognitions.
- Special Events – An annual picnic and banquet is sponsored by the Wesleymen Bible Class of Epworth each year. Also an Annual Christmas by the Fireside celebration & Annual Easter Celebration are held at Epworth.
- Epworth Book Club – Meets the fourth Tuesday of each month at 10:00 a.m.. If you are interested in previewing a good book and enjoying good fellowship, please join us!
Epworth Day School — Epworth Day School is a mission of Epworth United Methodist Church. The Day School is for infants 6 weeks old through Pre-School. You may call the school directly at 757-313-5301 or visit the Day School Website
- Wesley Community Center
- Ghent Area Ministries
- Souper Bowl Sunday
- Red Bird Mission and Henderson Settlement.
- Society of St. Andrew
- United Methodist Committee On Relief
- Mobile Meals for the Tidewater community
JOB OPENING – DAY SCHOOL DIRECTOR
Epworth Day School has a job opening for a full-time Director. General responsibilities include, but are not limited to, insuring the delivery of a developmentally appropriate education program centered on Christian values, supervision and evaluation of teachers and staff, ensuring the safety and welfare of staff and students, meeting all city and state licensing requirements, and maintaining positive communications with parents, teachers and staff members. For details, visit the Virginia Conference website at http://www.vaumc.org/jobs